Today I thought it would be fun to share some things about myself that you probably don’t know already. Let’s get to it!
1. I was a competitive figure skater for the first half of my life. I started skating because my brother was taking classes and they gave out cookies at the end of class. I wanted the cookies. So I skated. Anyone surprised? I’m not.
2. I’ve never in my life eaten a Dorito. And I’ve had exactly one Sun Chip, but only because Max forced it upon me. I’ve only had ketchup once and it was only because I told a guy at a bar and he told me he’d buy me a drink if I tried it. I don’t turn down free drinks.
3. My best friend and I share the same name. We met freshman year of high school but have since discovered we went to preschool together too! Also, I love Halloween, it’s my favorite holiday. You guys like my eyebrows?
4. I’m deathly afraid of birds of any kind. To the point where I dodge pigeons on the other side of the street. It’s not completely irrational, I’ve had multiple bad experiences with all different types. Fuck birds for reals.
5. I got to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef while studying abroad in Australia. I studied in Sydney but spent a few days in Cairns (north eastern Australia) where we scuba dove and visited a rain forest and got to hold koalas and play with kangaroos!
6. While I was down under, I also made my way to New Zealand where I did the second highest bungee jump in the world…twice. I figured it would probably be awhile since I made it back there, had to get my money’s worth!
7. I will never get sick of my mom’s baked mac and cheese. She uses white cheddar Cheese-Itz instead of breadcrumbs on top. Literally. The. Best. Thing. Ever.
8. I’m obsessed with cookings competition shows. I could watch Chopped, Top Chef, Master Chef, Guy’s Grocery Games, Master Chef Jr. all day, errrrday. Yes, that last one is a cooking competition show with children. Judge if you must.
9. I’m loud. It’s hard to really get that across via a blog, but it’s true. I blame my mother. But this isn’t any kind of new development either, I was voted “Loudest” of my senior class. And my senior class was about 900 people, soooo…take that as you will.
10. I’ve lived in Chicago for eight years, sometimes even I’m shocked by that! I’ve lived in the South Loop, Lincoln Park, Lakeview and now the West Loop. #westloopisthebestloop
11. In addition to figure skating, I played soccer competitively for as long as I can remember. My club teams were regularly ranked in the top five nationally. But when college rolled around I decided it was the end of the line. Probably a good thing since Columbia College doesn’t even have a mascot. Or maybe it does? I don’t know.
12. While I may be a graphic designer for a living, I absolutely CANNOT draw. In college, my BFF David and I would take pictures of what we were supposed to draw for class, then put the images on the light box and trace the picture like we’d drawn it on our own. Our professor called us out into the hall to ask who was doing whose work because they looked so similar. So, yes, we were in fact cheating, just not in the way he thought.
13. I have dual citizenship in the US and Canada. My mom’s Canadian and my dad grew up all over as an army brat. They met in Jamaica and the rest is history. You know, like getting married at a courthouse to prevent deportation. Isn’t that how everyones parents got married?
15. I have this weird thing where I have to look at the menu of a restaurant before I eat there. I think there’s only been two times in recent memory that I went to dinner without knowing exactly what was on the menu. I’m a freak.
15. My team is the Blackhawks. They always have been, always will be. See above: mother is Canadian. I actually partied with the team both times they won the Stanley Cup in 2010 and 2013. I’m gonna brag about that because it was awesome and I don’t care.